(172) To All Those Born in the 50's to Early 70's.
To all those born in the 40's, 50's , 60's & early 70's...
1) First, we survived with mothers who had no maids. They cooked and cleaned while taking care of us at the same time.
2) They took aspirin, candies floss, fizzy drinks, shaved ice with syrups and diabetes were rare.
3) Salt added to Pepsi or Coke was remedy for fever.
4) We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets.
5) As children, we would ride with our parents on bicycles or motorcycles for 2 or 3. Richer ones in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
6) Riding in the back of a private taxi was a special treat.
7) We drank water from the tap and not from a bottle.
8) We would spend hours on the fields under bright sunlight flying our kites, without worrying about the UV ray which never seems to affect us.
9) We go to jungle to catch spiders without worries of Aedes mosquitoes.
10) With mere 5 pebbles (stones) would be an endless game. With a ball (tennis ball best) we boys would ran like crazy for hours.
11) We catch guppy in drains or canals and when it rain we swim there.
12) We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually worry about being unhygenic.
13) We ate salty, very sweet & oily food, candies, bread and real butter and drank very sweet soft sweet coffee or tea, ice kacang, but we weren't overweight because we were always outside playing!!!
14) We would leave home in the morning and play all day, till streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day.
15) We don't have handphones to bug us. And we were OK and we are safe!
16) We would spend hours repairing our old bicycles and wooden scooters out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
17) We did not have Playstations, X-boxes, Nintendo's, multiple channels on cable TV, DVD movies, no surround sound, no phones, no personal computers, no internet. We had friends and we went outside and found them!
18) We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and we still continued the stunts.
19) We never had birthdays parties till we are 21.
20) We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and just yelled for them!
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law! Yet this generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever! The past 40 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned... HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL! And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS! You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the government regulated our lives for our own good. And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.
PS: -The big type is because long-sightedness or hyperopia at your age... hehee....
The article below was written by Patrick Teoh in his blog "Niamah!!".